January 25, 2011

Dealer, enabler, friend? Not sure which any more!

So in November I Participated in NaNoWriMo. National Novel Writing Month.  I wrote a novel that will likely never see the light of day.  During that process I buddied up with another author who I think of as Professional and had a bit of a "fangirl" attraction too.  we challenged each other through Wrimo and both won.  In the process of discussing our creative endeavors he suggested I follow @BrightEyedDyer on twitter. So I did.

She Dyes yarn, mostly sock yarn, but every year picks a few novels and makes a colorway blend that represents those books.  After a few back and forth replies I ordered some of her yarn.

I have never knitted with Sock yarn.  It is SMALL.  I had to buy a new circular needle because the smallest I had was an 8 and I needed at most a 2 for this yarn.  and I always get circulars because I hate straights. I drop them every time I try to throw a knitted stitch so I just ignore them at all costs. 

A few days later I recieved in the mail, a plain yellow envelope.  Inside it had the most fun ball of yarn I had ever seen.  She called it "Childhood" and I admit it did make me giggle like a kid again.  I had decided that I was going to use this new yarn in a project using an Entrelac pattern because of the way the colors shifted.  The envelope also had a nice simple purple that went well with Childhood.  I was good to go...or so I thought.

I make hats, lots of hats. I wanted to make a hat.

This hat started with the purple in the swirly increase I seem to do with most of my hats. 8 sections, Magic loop method, increasing 1 stitch per section on every other row until the top of the hat was big enough for my head and the number of stitches on the needles was a multiple of 6.  Then I did a round of Entrelac base triangles in the purple also. 

Then the first row of Childhood entrelac squares.  This round took FOREVER.  I was still learning the pattern and was still turning the entire project back and forth ever 6 stitches for 48 squares.  Took me just over a week.  This had to change.  The second round of Entrelac squares went the other direction around the hat.  I tried doing the Pearling without turning the project. It worked. Knocked out the second round in 3 days,  but now I was running out of yarn.

Contacted @BrightEyedDyer again, asked about the purple, or a green or a teal or a bright blue or a yellow or any of the other colors in the Childhood. 

Well I just got another envelope, has bright green and bright turquoise. Now I want to change my mind on how the pattern is and I have a sinking feeling that I will be ripping out ALL of the second round of Childhood so that I can fit Turquoise and green in with more purple lol.

Someday this will be a GREAT looking hat lol.

1 comment:

Luvin' Ewe said...

Hey Shadow-
Found you via Epbot. I'm a local to you fan and costumer, as well as just about anythign fiber related. Will we see you at GeekKon this year? I'll be around, as Polly Buttons, my Steampunk character.

Did you know that Madison has a costumer's guild? They meet first Monday of the month. I don't remember where- I'm always coming in from MKE with a friend, and he does the driving. I'll get you the info. They're bidding to have Costume-Con in Madison in about 3-5 years.

I'd love to see some finished pictures of the hat!

Hope to see you at Geek-See you at Tesla, in any case.

Char aka Mammabunny_, Mrs. Buttons