December 12, 2008

It's begining to look a lot like.........BREAKFAST!

As you all probably know, The holidays are coming.

I'm sure you also realize that just about every holiday seems to include food traditions. Latkes at Hanukkah, Big ham dinner at Christmas, Cookies, Candy, etc.

Whats more fun than trying to get kids to EAT on Christmas morning BEFORE it is time to open presents?

Well I have my ways *rubs hands together maniacally*

FROSTING!!!!!!!

My mom assigned me the task of Breakfast on Christmas Morning sooooooo off to the lab..erm....KITCHEN, I go!!!



Now I rarely cook anything totally from scratch, But I also rarely leave anything alone.

This morning I ran a trial of some cinnamon rolls.

*Basic tube of orange cinnamon rolls
*additional cinnamon sugar sprinkles
*Lemon Juice
*Confectioners sugar

No realize I have NOW IDEA how to make a glaze other than watching my grandmother when I was too young to care.

I cooked the rolls in a small springform pan that I sprayed with butter flavor spray and then dusted generously with the cinnamon sugar before the rolls went into it.

to make the glaze......

I poured an undetermined amount of lemon juice in a small bowl, likely a few tablespoons though it felt like more. Then I started adding confectioners sugar 1 tablespoon at a time. Dump in sugar, mix until blended, dump in sugar, mix until blended, lather, rinse, repeat until the glaze looks like...well...a glaze. I ended up adding a LOT of spoonfulls of sugar, I lost count around 15, I am sure it was considerably more. Next time I start with less liquid.

Once the rolls were done, I plopped them on a plate and poured the packaged glaze over them. It pooled in the middle and then formed blobs around the edges didn't look thrilling. I then drizzled as much of MY glaze as I could over the top.

I am now an insane 2.5 rolls in and I will have to STRONGLY resist the urge to polish off the whole plate before lunch! Or else I will need to take a long walk in the balmy -5 degree temps we have running right now.

Honestly, It's a tough choice!

No comments: