December 2, 2008

way too long

I got poked by a fellow knitter last night to actually UPDATE this blog.....

Is it really UPDATING if it's been over a year since the last post?

Anyway, Last year I found GOOD yarn. I started collecting, playing, then got too busy to have a hobby. Now I have some time again and I am trying to make a few holiday gifts for friends and family.

I used a new material for me last year, a Soy-Wool blend. I loved it but it was pricey. THEN I found a similar yarn at Micheal's and bought a bunch since it was about half the price of the first ball I bought. I then had to find something to make out of it.

Here ya go......




That is the inside band of a beret type hat and a scarf that matches that was knitted lengthwise. No real pattern for either other than the hat was done on round needles using a magic loop method. I think I cast on 150 stitches and did a few ribbing rows, then I reduced by dividing the stitches evenly into a set number of sections and doing a K2Tog at the end of each section until I only had 1 stitch for each section left on the needles to run the tail thread through and tie off.

The scarf was started by casting on 250 stitches, doing a few ribbing rows, then knitting 5 stitches at each end and doing knit on the front side and pearl on the back side, then finished with ribbing a few rows. I did it that way because the yarn looked better striped lengthwise than shortwise.

It was all done on KnitPicks nickle plated interchangeable size 10.5 needles on a really long cable. It was a fun project and I am still wearing the hat and scarf.

I have 2 balls of this stuff in blue, haven't decided what to do with that yet.If anyone has any ideas they might want to use it for, let me know. I think I could handle bartering or selling some of my unused materials.

No comments: